December 17, 2008

The Riot Before - Fists Buried In Pockets

"All we loved we cannot hold for long / The waves that collide they double in size / Are perceived from the pier by four adjusted eyes / That had widened in time in the darkness of night / But the energy augmented soon must subside / It was gone in that moment we tried to hold tight."

All right, everybody knows that I am a sucker for catchy punk rock with a folk/country twist. Enter The Riot Before, and I'm a happy camper. Fists Buried In Pockets isn't the kind of record that sets new standards when it comes to originality and innovation, but if I was looking for these things in the music I listen to, I'd have dropped out of punk rock long ago. Even though the band name, the album title, and even the cover image would suggest something angry, The Riot Before are more about making it through another day in a miserable life than throwing rocks through bank windows and instigating revolution - which, if you ask me, is at least as valid a topic to write about.

The Riot Before are from Richmond, VA. That would have been my second guess right after Gainesville, FL. Does that give you an idea about how they sound? Yeah right, pretty much like the early Against Me! material with hints of the other big A's like Avail, Ann Beretta, and American Steel. If this doesn't sound like a fucking wet dream, you should go read Pitchfork Media and jerk off to your Japanther records.

"So I'm sorry mom, I'm sorry dad, I really want you to be proud / Don't want to disappoint you all, don't want to let you down."

Dear people in The Riot Before, Fists Buried In Pockets is an album you can be very fucking proud of.

www.say-10.com

No comments: