December 20, 2008

Joey Cape - Bridge

I never liked Lagwagon. In fact, I hated them with a passion that's reserved for Refused these days. Or certain "hardcore" bands from my city. Or your band. And no, I can never forgive Lagwagon for shaping that 90s "melody-core" sound. Not only did it spawn approximately nine gazillion faceless clone bands, nope... do you remember the fashion crimes back in the day? Baggy shorts with chain wallets, XL t-shirts, and backpacks. Ugh. Back in 1981, when he still went by the name of Henry Garfield, Rollins already said "I hate the kids". Where can I sign?

So now, in 2008, when no one even gives half a shit about his crappy band anymore, Joey Cape does what every other aging punk rocker does: release a solo record. Yawn. Admittedly, there's a handful of people who can pull that off, but there's a whole lot more who just suck. Mister Cape is somewhere in between, with strong tendencies towards the latter category. Bridge is not quite as vomit inducing as I expected it to be, but it's still boring and stale like three day old beer. Seriously, some hippies with acoustic guitars playing "Rocking In The Free World" or even "Like a Rolling Stone" in the city center put more passion into their music than he does. If it wasn't for his Lagwagon, he'd be flipping burgers. Thanks, but no thanks.

www.suburbanhomerecords.com

No comments: