July 27, 2010

"I had covered most of the house with paint and ink" - An interview with Adrian Landon Brooks


I discovered Adrian Landon Brooks' art by sheer accident. Must have been on Myspace or something, which is ("this is sooo 2007!") pretty an old school thing by now. Myspace has become a zombie of bits and bytes in the meantime, Adrian's profile does not exist anymore, but somehow I have always been following his art... because this is the nature of art: it touches you, whether you see it in a gallery, on the streets, in a book, or even on the fucking internet.

What made you realize "wow, I can be an artist and be taken seriously"?
I started off painting graffiti all through out my teenage years, and got a job installing work at a gallery in Houston,TX. The owner of the gallery encouraged me to broaden my horizons, and that led to me exploring ink drawings. As the drawings progressed, I had a few key people in my life at the time that kept encouraging me to push my limits. When I had a body of rough work, I was offered a spot in a group show at a local warehouse gallery named "one ten". The experience of watching people interact with my work really opened my eyes and gave me some confidence that I had otherwise been lacking.

"Silver Jew" - water color on wood panel, 11" x 6 1/2 "

Who were these "key people"and what did they do?
When I was 19 or so, I was living in a dilapidated rental house with two of my close friends in Houston. We had a dining room and a huge garage that nobody was using, so I kinda took over both with all my scrawling ink drawings, and the beginning of some actual paintings. My roommates would give me constant feedback and comment on the mess I was creating daily. By the end of the lease, I had covered most of the house with paint and ink. That year shaped my work a lot. I also began a romantic relationship that same year and subsequently made portraits of her for the next few years. I owe those times and people a lot.

"The experience of watching people interact with my work really opened my eyes" - give an example!
I specifically remember selling a small drawing for 20 bucks at the first group show I was a part of, and being blown away with how happy this guy was to take it home. It really meant a lot to know my work could have such a positive effect on someone, even though it was pretty dark material at the time.

Speaking of happiness, what keeps you sane?

I would say my mother and art binges. I usually make a group of work all at once over the course of a few weeks. I seem to enjoy the purging process a lot more than making little things every day. When you work on a piece for 12 hours straight, you definitely experience a type of euphoria I haven't been able to find from any drug.


What inspires you to create art on a daily basis?
Pretty much anything you can think of really. I get inspired by music pretty often, or just a specific line from a song that hits me hard one day. Some of the one liners in my work are borrowed from some of my favorite songs. I think if a piece of music is capable of moving me, I should pay homage to it with my own creation.

Music... you have a Jawbreaker tattoo. What else rocks your world?

Haha, I got that tattoo when I was 17. I can safely say that Jawbreaker shaped a good part of my youth. 24 Hour Revenge Therapy will never get old. I have been listening to Timber Timbre and Phosphorescent a lot lately. I usually gravitate towards sad bastard music.


How, well... "fitting" - your art is not particularly lighthearted or happy per se... where does that come from?
I think I find the most inspiration or motivation from the darker side of things. It's not that I am an unhappy person, but I think sorrowful content is a little more interesting. I try to break up the melodrama with words - it's a way of bringing my issues to light, and realizing that I don't have it so bad. I think it's good to be able to poke fun at yourself.


More art can be found here: www.adrianlandonbrooks.com ... support!

1 comment:

MITCH said...

YAYYYYYYY ALB!!!!!